Today’s entry came about thanks to a gift from my friend Jerry. Jerry found the end table in the picture below and asked if I wanted it. I said “Heck yeah!”
This table has many great parts, but I was first drawn to its legs. I know I wanted it to be part of some creature, just wasn’t sure exactly what. So it sit on my front porch for a couple months until it was ready.
At first I thought this creature was going to be some sort of feline with long longs:
But as work progressed on it, it just didn’t seem cat-like. Swapped around some of the body parts, and it went from feline to dromedary.
The hump is a tea kettle turned sideways. Granted, this camel doesn’t have the biggest hump ever, but I like to think it’s just a young camel. That’s my story, and am sticking with it.
Having spent a good week just rearranging the parts, it came time to attach everything. For the main body, I decided to use a verrrry long bolt, about eight inches, that would connect about four of the metal parts together. The neck attached to the head and body in a similar fashion. To attach the legs, the metal canisters had to be cut, the legs slightly inserted, and then screwed together.
Below you can see the general state of mess the work table was in while working on this piece.
And here’s a better view of how the body would attach.
Most of the body attached, there seemed to be one minor detail missing. The neck is made of two goblets, by the way.
No progress shots of the head, but it is comprised of spoons as ears, door knobs as eyes (which attach to each other by a screw and thus are firmly attached to the head), as well as some sort of canteen for the head, and a lamp part for the snout.
The name of this camel is Aurelia, but her friends call her Goldie. She is approximately 2 feet tall and 2 feet long.
I also tried taking a picture of her outside, though she much prefers to stay indoors.