If you’ve been to this site, you’ll notice that there is a new look. I was starting to get claustrophobia from the last design, so decided to go for a cleaner look. Made a new masthead, and that may or may not undergo revisions in the future. Anyways, going to have to do quite a bit of catch-up, two months seemed to slip by without a new entry. Going to blame it on the Summer.
Speaking of Summer, so this piece was finished in June, but think it is still appropriate due to the fact that it is still pretty darn hot. In my last entry, I came upon the idea of doing a series of Tricksters, brought upon by the figure of the Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. So from the woods of Northern Europe to the desert sands of Arabia, the Djinn was started.
I first worked on the background. This consisted of a ceiling fan part, lit up with LED lights, which are surrounded by a bunch of old sewing box kits, all on a wood box.
Researching Djinnis, I discovered that there are many types of them, not just the one that hangs out in bottles. There is a deadlier one that hangs out in remote areas such as deserts and graveyards that floats atop smokeless blue fire. I tend to not use a lot of fabric in my work, but it seemed the best option to capture that feeling.
Getting a good idea of the background, it was time to start the Djinni herself. A large portion of her body was taken from a two parts of a broken candlestick. The forearms are from drawer pulls and am not sure what the upper arms are.
Getting all the parts of the Djinn to firmly attach and then have her being able to stand upright was something of a harrowing process. There were a couple parts that brought about much cursing on my part, but somehow she managed to stay together. With the use of four more decorative parts resting against the ceiling fan part, she was able on her way to luring hapless strangers to their deaths:
With the Djinn basically solved, I focussed my attention back on the setting. Being in the desert, some burning sand seemed only fitting. Alert readers may have noticed the start of sand in one of the above pictures, which takes the form of tiny star washers. But also wanted to have the natural feel of a desert without completely depleting my star washer supply (and I came close as it was!) so used some screen wire as the base.
The wood base seemed rather bland, so I cut up an ornate wooden picture frame and used it as a facade. A couple candle sticks now serve as pillars in the front, with some nifty transparent drawer pulls as orbie-thingies. Hurray for orbie thingies!
Next up was gluing the star washers to the screen wire. This took officially forever:
Ok, let’s get to the finished product. The Djinn is a 15 x 14 x 15 inch standing sculptural work. The center is lit up using an LED strip. This was probably one of the most complex pieces to put together, a big part of that due to the fact that a large hole had to be left in the center in order for the LED lights to be seen, which meant that the Djinni had to be attached along the perimeter of the ceiling fan part. Just makes me tired thinkings so let’s just look at the final photos:
The Djinn is the second in my Trickster series. At this point I have made seven, but have only written about two, so that makes five more to cover. This is not only an art blog, but a math blog as well! Next up we will fly over to China to check out the shenanigans of the Monkey King.