Still skipping about chronologically, today I come back to the present and share with you some art I finished 2 days ago. I started this in early March, but had a few delays in finishing it, including a nice trip to New Mexico. Below is a scene from the Taos Mountains that would never be seen in Austin, though I can recall from my childhood in Maine:


The addition of the futile shovel on top of the first car is a nice touch.

Anyways, this is yet another in the series of ocean pieces I have done, and takes place inside another breadbox.


The original inspiration for this artwork were two items from the junkyard: the pieces that serve the arms and the torso. By the end both of them would be altered greatly. After playing with the design, I got to adding color.


As the form of the figure was taking a definite mermaid/man figure (or as I call it, the Mermer), I wanted this to have an underwater feel, so went for aquamarine, dark blue, with gold highlights. Also added a metal frame to the top and bottom for decoration.


I added the curly-q waves by cutting several holes into the base of the breadbox, which happened to stiff cardboard. Another bottom had to be created underneath it for structural purposes. Next the Mermer got some color, as well as some plant life for company.


There is some seaweed floating around the tail, and also added an image from the inside of a book cover, which was altered in photoshop to match the colors. I really couldn’t decide whether to have the Mermer underwater, or floating in some grotto, so said what the heck, and let it be both. The beginning of a sentient plant is seen in the foreground, which for now looks almost like a starfish. Later it would get an eye, as is seen in the next photo.

A mad creator looks on at the hapless eyestalk
A mad creator looks on at the hapless eyestalk

Can’t say what the metal pieces are, but the eye itself is a marble. With the eyestalk done, it was time to tackle the part I had the hardest time getting to work: the Mermer head. If you have seen in the previous pictures, I had tried various things for the head, but nothing was satisfactory.  Finally a wooden leg of a table would become the basis of it. The wood allowed for some carving and drilling, which allowed eyes and hair to be inserted easier. The hair is some kind of aluminum casing for wiring perhaps, and the eyes are beads that I painted. Cut-out bits of metal served as the rest of the details of the face.


Next was the “simple” task of putting it altogether. The eyestalk was very easy, as it could be screwed in through the starfish thingie into the breadbox. The mermer head was very difficult. I added a choker of sorts that provided balance for the head, and a shell that the head rests on in the back.  And as you can see, the body was greatly altered, with forks added as hands and at this point it is definitely a Mermer of the female variety. Both my girlfriend Cheri as well as another female friend stressed that she needed nipples, so who am I to argue? Below you can see the end result.

The Mermer and the Eyestalk - RIght view

Like as is usually the case, a photo doesn’t really do justice to all the details. The eyestalk itself appears much more prominent when seen in person (or in eyeball), but in the photo the background competes with it. But these photos at least give a good representation of the artwork.


The name of this piece is “The Mermer and the Eyestalk.” It is 16 x 10 x 10, and can either be hung on a wall or set on a relatively flat surface. It is available for $750.

The Mermer and the Eyestalk

The Mermer and the Eyestalk - Detail

The Mermer and the Eyestalk
Tagged on:                         

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *