The second piece in the Æssemblage series that I have gotten a final picture of is the well-known Tortoise and the Hare tale….or is that tail? Either way, it reminds me of the goal I have set for myself this year: to create 12 assemblages, each one based on an Aesop’s Fable. Not only that, but also get a print-quality photo of each, layout the book that they will be in, have it printed, and then try to market and sell these books, all before Christmas! I am hopping, er hoping, that the slow steady pace will get me to this finish line. Basically 6 pieces are now done or almost done, and 3 more in the works. So far it has been enjoyable, even if getting some things to work right can be a struggle. But picking one theme and sticking to it can be a good way of learning to do things differently. For instance I had shied away from most furry mammals in my assemblages, as they don’t suit themselves to the medium. But there is no way around furry mammals if doing Aesop, and I have learned some new approaches. With that I will show you one of them.
Not a lot of photos for this piece but enough to show the progress. It started with a very shiny box, and a simple layout:
Cheri found the wooden place mat material that is being used as the ground layer. At first I didn’t know what to use it for, but have used it as ground for both this and the Crow and Pitcher piece that is in progress. The body of the Hare is shoe fitters, and the head is some metal I can’t identify. A very early start on the turtle, and would look very different soon. The sun is some kind of decorative piece, and I use an identical piece in the Fox and the Grapes’ sun.
Next the Hare is put together:
It is all attached with bolts. The ears seemed a bit too perky for a sleeping rabbit, but I was easily able to push them down a bit. I placed the assembled Hare in the box again and started to work on some colors and more elements like the background and turtle:
After a few different materials I settled on some wood sticks for the background. They seem to match the wood pieces in front. I started painting this thinking the back would be blue and the front brown, but it changed quite dramatically as I went along.
I decided that two shades of green would be best for the front and background…now it takes on an obvious meadow feel that I often associate with the fable. Added a maroonish tone on the box itself for contrast and worked on the sky a bit. The Hare will become a White Rabbit, which I think constrasts nicely against the deeper colors. Here is the final piece:
Unfortunately I do not have any angles shots at the moment, and they would give a better idea of the depth of the piece, as well as the sides of the box. The size is 19 x 18 x 6.
Regarding the book itself, I hope to have some final prices from the printer soon. Some people have inquired about pre-orders, and once I can determine what the costs will be, I am thinking I will put up pre-orders through a fundraising site like Indie Gogo. I will post something when details are clearer.