My first EAST tour has come and gone, and I would say that I am happy with it overall. There was a lot of good support from neighbors and friends, and even some sales. With any luck I will be sharing a little video of it in the coming weeks, but this post deals with an art piece that I worked on off and on throughout the tour.
In a couple previous works, I had delved back into the shadow box, and this is yet another in that style. After making a couple moon spirits in that style, another box that has been sitting around in my junk for years seemed to be the ideal candidate for the next piece:
I saw this narrow box and thought having a moon at the top would be striking.
So I started getting pieces together. The first challenge was how and where to put the moon inside. Would it be pasted to the back, or attached up front. I wanted it to be upfront but that posed some attachment issues (suddenly this sounds like therapy). Here is a pic of the pieces I started with:
The pieces seen above are what would become the moon. After I got this idea I painted the box itself:
Back to the issue of the moon. The trickiest part was getting the parts for the moon to hang closer to the front of the box. This would involve drilling a couple holes in the box, removing the screws in the background objects, getting some just as thin but longer, and getting all the parts to go together. Here is how it looked before cleaned up:
The star shaped gear would attach to this base piece with wire, and the litte clock gear on top, being so lightweight and having very little means of attaching otherwise, went on with some goop.
In the next picture, the secondary moon parts are still not affixed, and neither is the moonbeamy thing. The familiar washers I have used in several other moon spirits have once again become the moon glow or starry sky, however you may view them. Three tiny led lights on springs have been placed at the bottom, but not affixed either.
I didn’t get any preliminary shots of the star of the piece, which is a monkey swinging from the moonbeam-vine. I had been working on some of this piece during the show, as mentioned above, so didn’t always get the chance to take pictures, or didn’t think of it. Anyways I have included not only two views of the finished piece, but also a bonus detail of the monkey.
A few people who have seen my work on the web came to the show and commented that the pieces “feel” bigger when viewing the actual thing versus seeing a picture. I had thought of putting something like a quarter next to them when taking the photo, but of course forgot to do it for this. So….ummm…..just envision this bigger than you think it is.
“Monkey Moon Spirit” is a humongous 10 x 3 x 3 inches. It has been sold. Feel free to check out the other available moon spirits.