I mentioned that I had been working on a piece involving a window pane…
My thought was to have the moon behind the pane and some action going on in front of it. I cut out a piece of plywood that would serve as a backing for the piece, and covered it with some black fabric. I liked the idea of having a multi-layered ground, and so experimented by putting some of the pieces on the pane and some underneath:
Also some little creatures started coming to life, with little latch pieces as heads and springs as bodies. One spring was already flattened, the other one had to be encouraged with a hammer:
The discoloration seen in the moon is the metal itself, not any painting. There would be a few touchups to it, but the color of circle largely determined the color of the background.
Having started working on background figures, I also set to work on a foreground figure as well. As those were flying, it seemed to make sense that this one should be standing and witnessing their aerial acrobatics. I found a small door bracket of some sort, and it became the head, with an impressive tuft of hair:
A small handle became the arms, another cabinet door part the main body, and a thingamabob the neck. The eventual right eye would serve to connect to the frame of the wondow:
The front largely finished, I started again on the back. I gave the little gliding figures some more definition. One has a smaller spring within the main spring body, the other has a small key as a tail, and both have plastic jewel eyes.
I nailed these pieces, as well as the outer moon rim, to the plywood. As the plywood is so thin, I had to saw off the nail ends on the back. All that was left was to bring the two pieces together. I screwed the plywood to the frame and it was done:
I found it very difficult to get a good shot of this piece due the window pane. If there was fairly good light, the pane would have too much reflection. As a result, I had to use low light, so am not able to get as much detail as I would have liked.